Friday, April 16, 2010

Psycho!

It's been an interesting week around here to say the least. We parted ways with our nanny. She was with us for a whole four weeks. Truthfully, her psycho-ness began to show up during the first week, but I wanted to believe that I had made a good decision and wasn't willing to face the possibility that I had made a mistake and might have to do the whole quest-for-childcare thing again.

So if the universe sends you trials and tribulations in your life in order that you may learn and grow from them, I really must reflect on what the point of dealing with psycho-nanny for the past month was supposed to teach me. Because I don't ever want to deal with THAT again.

I should have listened to my instincts.
I should have been more thorough in my interview with her.
I should have questioned her decision making the moment I felt uncomfortable about her.
I should have viewed her with a skeptical eye until she proved otherwise (as opposed to my usual rose-coloured glasses).
I should have gotten it all in writing.
I shoud not have let her take the key off our premises.
Instead, because I was afraid of being seen as difficult, or demanding, or bossy, I let her put my children in situations that were at best, questionable, and at worst terribly, even potentially fatally unsafe.

So needless to say the next nanny search will go a whole lot differently.

On a more positive note, having this whole thing blow up on me has also hammered home what a fantastic community I live in. No less than six families offered to do what they could to help out with childcare until I can get something more permanent in place. I'll probably get more offers as word of this gets around (it's only been 24 hours so far). All of these families have their own kids and busy lives and work to juggle, but they happily offered their help. New Westminster is the best place in the world to live.

4 comments:

  1. Oh so sorry to hear that. My "family daycare" experience with #1 son years ago taught me the same thing - to trust my instincts. It's a rotten feeling but I'm glad you're moving on & caught it in time..

    Good luck! I wish I could help but I have my hands full at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, if there is something I can do to help, I'm here. I've got the Bonster Monday, Tuesday, Thursday but I'm here Wednesday and Friday and could help where I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, how awesome is our community! Thanks, guys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that, Jill! I hope you find something or someone good soon!

    ReplyDelete