Monday, May 18, 2009

The Weight-ing Game

Well, I'm six weeks post-partum and the baby-weight-loss has officially plateaued. Any extra weight I'm now carrying is mine; more likely to be due to spending the last four weeks of my pregnancy demonstrating the joys of eating ice cream soup for Trevor and Amy than actually having been pregnant. The "extra" weight is not insignificant (about 15 lbs.) and I was no waif to begin with.

So tomorrow it begins - I am going to join Weight Watchers and attempt for the umpteenth time in my life to lose weight (and not find it again). I believe that I've failed so miserably in the past for two reasons: a) I was focused more on losing weight than being healthy, and b) I viewed spending the time and effort and energy on my health as being self-indulgent (martyr complex, anyone?). Like many moms, I tend to use the demands of my family life as an excuse to not look after myself. It took having a small mental crisis after my baby's delivery to make me realize how important it is for me to take better care of myself, physically and mentally. If I take that time for myself, my whole family will be better for it.

I'll miss the ice cream soup, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment