Sunday, June 28, 2009

Stumpers

Stumper #1:
Amy: How does the music get in the radio?
Me: What do you mean, like where does the sound come from?
Amy: No, I know it comes out of there (pointing to the speakers), from there (pointing to the dashboard radio)...
Me: That's a radio and those are speakers (why am I interrupting her)
Amy: I know! But how did the music get in there?
Me: In the radio? Well....ummm....cars have these things called an antenna...and we can't see ours from inside the van (it's pouring rain out and we can't open the window to check). Well, see on that car there? And that one? That long pointy uppy thingy sticking up? That's an antenna.
Amy: I can't see one.
Me: They're hard to spot 'cuz it's raining and those cars are driving way too fast in a school zone, but trust me, all cars have these long pointy uppy anntenas. Anyway, the antenna picks up radio waves and you can't see them or hear them until they go in the radio through the antenna and the radio waves come from a broadcasting tower (throughout this explanation I'm trying to pantomime radio waves)...
Amy: (looking at me, skeptically) Yeah, okay, radio waves, but how does the music get in there?
Me: Oh jeez, I'm not explaining this very well. You know what, sweetie, that's an excellent question. And that's why we have Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment